subheader-2.jpg

How To Resolve Exchange 2013 http 500 Error for Users in OWA/ECP

Mar 02 2015

Exchange 2013 http 500 error for some in OWA/ECP

I had a client contact me and said there were a handful of users that were experiencing a 500 Error when logging into the OWA and/or ECP in 2013 Exchange. All other users were fine and had no issues.

Exchange Server 2013 w/ SP1

Troubleshooting

Let’s recreate the user experience.

  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using IE – result error 500

500error_1

 

  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using Firefox – result error 500/ blank screen
  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using Chrome – Result user was able to login to owa sometimes
  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using IE on another computer – result error 500
  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using Firefox on another computer – result error 500/ blank screen
  • Checked to see if the user could access the OWA using Chrome on another computer – result error 500/ blank screen

Application Pool Recycling

Below is an exercise we will be go through that will refresh the IIS cache on the CAS server.

  • Logged into the CAS server and opened the IIS MMC
  • Navigated to the Application pools
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeSyncAppPool and selected recycle

500error_2

  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeSyncAppPool and selected stop
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeOWAAppPool and selected recycle
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeOWAAppPool and selected stop
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeECPAppPool and selected recycle
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeECPAppPool and selected stop
  • Closed the IIS MMC
  • Reopened the IIS MMC and waited a few minutes
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeSyncAppPool and selected Start
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeOWAAppPool and selected Start
  • Right-clicked on the MSExchangeECPAppPool and selected Start

***NOTE: If you receive an error when trying to start select refresh and try again until it starts. Sometimes the Application pool hangs and needs a moment to respond

Testing against local workstation cache

After this process have the user try logging into the OWA using IE in “in private browsing” mode. This mode keeps the web server from caching anything locally and is a great method in testing local cache issues. The result was that the user was able to successfully access the OWA. I had the user close the browser launch a new browser and try again in IE, but this time not with In Private Browsing. Again it worked. I had the User close the browser and try again. It failed and the user got the 500 error again.
Instructed the user to close the browser and open internet options – go to the advanced tab and click on reset. This resets the IE settings back to default. I had the user open the internet options again and go into the general tab and select delete to delete the cookies and temporary files.

500error_3

Above displays the settings I had the user select (un-select). The user then clicked delete and closed the browser.

I performed the Application pool recycling exercise from above again and performed the tests again with the user.

  • User opened IE in “in private browsing” mode and attempted to login to OWA – result success
  • User opened IE without “in private browsing” mode and attempted to login to OWA – result success
  • User opened IE without “in private browsing” mode again and attempted to login to OWA – result success.
  • User opened Firefox and attempted to login to OWA – result success
  • User opened chrome and attempted to login to OWA – result success

I tried the same steps with another user that was having troubles with the ECP. He too was able to gain access to the ECP.

Another symptom appears

Digging further I noticed that another user was having a problem with setting up a partnership with his iPhone. I used http://testexchangeconnectivity.comto troubleshoot the issue.

Choosing the Exchange ActiveSync test I had the user fill in his information
The test was unsuccessful and we received a 500 error and “X-CasErrorCode: DatabaseGuidNotFound”

After researching I found that this is a known issue. Even though I was able to remediate some of the issues by flushing cache on the local workstations there is an underlying issues that seems to be corrected in the Exchange 2013 CU6 patch. Matching up this symptom with the other symptoms the users were experiencing I made the decision to proceed with upgrading the Exchange 2013 environment to CU6. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958434

Brandon Nolan

Written by Brandon Nolan

Subscribe to Bits & Bytes via Email

Recent Posts